Summer seems to go hand in hand with the occasional sunburn. Since spending three months indoors just isn’t possible, proper application of sunscreen is essential to reducing your risk of skin cancer and premature aging. To learn more about sun protection, use this sunscreen Q&A (with information from the American Academy of Dermatology) and visit aad.org.
Who should wear sunscreen?
- Everyone—regardless of age, gender, or race.
- Sunscreen helps prevent skin cancer by protecting you from the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- According to statistics, an estimated one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in his or her lifetime.
What type of sunscreen is most beneficial?
- Broad spectrum (which protects against both UVA and UVB rays)
- SPF 30 or higher
- Water resistant
When should sunscreen be applied?
- Every day—UV rays are present throughout the year, even on cloudy days.
- Be extra cautious around sand, snow, and water, which reflect the sun’s rays and increase the need for sunscreen.
How much sunscreen is necessary?
- 1 ounce is the amount that is needed to cover exposed areas.
- If using spray sunscreen, apply evenly. Be careful to avoid inhalation: don’t spray near your face and mouth, and be mindful of the direction of the wind if applying outdoors.
How often should sunscreen be applied?
- Apply sunscreen to dry skin 15 minutes prior to going outside.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours, or sooner if in water or sweating.
DIY Soothing Cream
When your skin is in need of some cooling relief, try this DIY cream. Materials
- 4-ounce jar
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- Lavender essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Mix coconut oil and aloe vera in the jar.
- Add 10 drops of lavender oil and 5 drops of peppermint oil. Mix well.
- Test the cream on a small area of your skin to ensure that there is no reaction before generously applying all over.
- Stops excessive pain and burning from sunburn.
- Offers an instant cooling effect.
- Soothes and moisturizes skin.
- Reduces the chance of itching and peeling.
- Allows skin to properly heal.
LPL Tracking # 1-05143621